Registering Your Horse
Pony Or Foal With The SSH - A Step By Step Guide
Scottish Sports Horse is an Open Stud Book. All sport horses/ponies
can therefore be registered (provided with a passport or over stamped)
regardless of age, height, or colour in compliance with EU legislation.
The Stud Book (Register) is made up of four books
within the Main Stud Book.
Head Book For all horses/ponies
three years old or over that have attended an SSH Grading that receive
a first or second premium providing they meet the pedigree requirements
outlined in the studbook guidelines and all horses/ponies by SSH
L2 stallions providing they receive a first premium and meet the
Foundation Book For all horses/ponies
three years old or over that have attended an SSH grading sired
by any stallion that has received a third premium, all other horses/ponies
that do not meet the pedigree requirements..
Basic Register caters for non
reproductive horses/ponies of unknown pedigree.
NB horses/ponies with a basic passport cannot be
presented at an SSH Grading.
NB ALL foals will be registered upon application
into the respective foal section based on their
parentage status and the premiums awarded if applicable.
- horses/ponies will only be entered into the Main Stud book from foal
book if presented at an SSH Grading.
- horses/ponies that do not attend an SSH grading at the age of three
years or older will remain in the respective foal book.
The Studbook Guidelines clearly define the pedigree requirements
in greater detail and are available to all members free of charge.
Passports - Registering Your Foal
Breed Society Passport Application Your Application
for an SSH passport commences by contacting the SSH Passport Officer.
You will be sent a passport application form along with DNA kit(s)
- All Foals must be Registered within 6 months of birth or before the 31st December, which ever date occurs later.
- Where a passport application is received outside the statutory time limit the animal will be signed out of Section IX Part II of the passport to declare the animal as not intended for human consumption. Any owner who fails to apply for a passport within the statutory time limits is committing an offence.
- All forms must be clearly completed. Late Registration Fee will apply.
- Foal Sketches must be completed signed and stamped by a vet
- DNA hair samples from both the foal AND its dam
(only applicable to mares that do not have a DNA profile previously
recorded with the AHT) must be collected.
- DNA samples of mare and foal must be collected in SEPERATE
- DNA samples must be named, dated and signed by your vet and
sent to the Animal Trust in the addressed envelope provided.
- All fees including DNA fees MUST be paid directly to the Scottish
Sports Horse and included in your application
- A Covering certificate signed by the stallion owner MUST accompany
- All foals must be micro chipped & New Registrations.
Basic Passport The basic passport is available
for persons not wishing to incur the full costs of a Breed Society
Passport. This option provides a solution to owners of non breeding
horses/ponies with unknown pedigree. However horses/ponies that
carry a Basic Passport cannot be presented at an SSH grading.
Scottish Sports Horse Fees
- Breed Society Passport £85 (incl DNA) Mares must be DNA tested if not previously additional £48 Total £133
- Breed Society Passport £75 (incl DNA & Registered within 12 weeks of birth) Mares must be DNA tested if not previously additional £48 Total £123
- Late Registration fee £120.00 (Incl DNA)
- Basic Passport (No DNA Required) - Sketches/Microchip, must be completed by a vet - £25
NB Discounts are given for multiple registrations 3 - 5 Discount
5% 6-8 Discount 10% +9 Discount 15% Breed Passports Only
- DNA Kit - £48 Per horse/pony
- Upgrade of Studbook Certificate To Breed society Passport £83 (incl. DNA)
DNA Must be provided
- Over stamping of existing passport £20
- Duplicate Breed Society Passport (Due to loss) £60 Basic
- Change in horse/pony name £25
- Grading Entry Fee £20
- Stallion Grading £200 Includes DNA testing
and first year of covering certificates
- Change of ownership £10
- Annual Membership £30
- Lifetime Membership £250
- Annual Stallion registration Fees £25
For All Passport Inquiries please call Jackie Halley
TEL 0844 8465220 (10am -2pm Mon - Fridays)
C/O Balcormo Farm